COTTON PARISH COUNCIL 365
A Parish Council meeting was held in Cauldon Lowe Village Hall on Tuesday, 1st. August 2017.
Present were Cllr. Cooper (Chairman) Cllrs. Allerton, Bendall, Brindley, Dale, Lees, Withington-Hyde, SMDC Ward Cllrs. Fallows and Lucas and one member of the public.
Apologies: SCC Cllr. Worthington (Local Member).
17.95 PUBLIC PARTICIPATION
- Parishioner Mrs. Swinson outlined problems which had arisen over the recently constructed dropped kerb in Moorfields Close. (SMDC Ward Cllr. Fallows left the room during discussion). It was alleged that parked cars restricted access to the relevant properties. Marked parking bays should be provided on the carriageway at little extra cost. Understood that SCC Cllr. Worthington is investigating the matter. See also minute 17.84.A.
17.96 DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST
Cllr. Cooper declared a pecuniary interest in any matters under “Burial” concerning a proposed archway or disabled access at Cotton Cemetery.
17.97 MINUTES OF LAST MEETING (Resolved)
Meeting held on 4th. July, 2017. These were approved and signed by the Chairman as a true and correct record.
17.98 MATTERS ARISING FROM MINUTES
- End of WW1 Centenary, November 2018 (17.87.B). Input and ideas to be sought from Millennium Committee, The Cross Inn, RBL (Waterhouses) and Village Hall Committee.
The possibility of provision of commemorative mugs was also discussed. To remain on agenda.
17.99 LENGTHSMAN SCHEME
Invoice received from H & H Gardening Services re: Lengthsman duties in the sum of £300.00. Work considered to be good.
17.100 PLANNING MATTERS
- DEF/2017/0021 – Change of use of agricultural building to a dwellinghouse – Barn at Newhouse Farm, Cotton Lane. Supported by Council.
Other Planning Matters
- Weekly lists – circulated to Cllrs.
- Issues at former St. Wilfrid’s RC Church (17.86.C). Cllr. Dale remarked that person or persons unknown had attempted to remove lead from roof.
- Notification of proposed installation of telecommunications mast at STWA site, Cauldon Lowe. Council commented that suitable screening should be provided and that
- Dale had received information from SMDC that no unmarked graves had been disturbed by rubble deposited on site at former St. Wilfrid’s RC Churchyard. SMDC observations had been noted.
- Allerton reported that portacabins had been erected at The Cross Inn, allegedly for the accommodation of Alton Towers contractors. To be investigated.
17.101 RECREATION MATTERS
- Mowing has been undertaken in the sum of £120.00.
17.102 BURIAL MATTERS
- Proposed archway entrance to Cemetery (see 17.88.A) (Cllr. Cooper declared a pecuniary interest and took no part in discussion or resolution.) In hands of Mr. Swithenbank, SMDC Planning. Some amendments to plans required.
- Disabled access – (17.88.B) Previously drawn outline plans in safe custody of Chairman, who had provided Cllrs. with copies. Cllr. Dale opined that grants for possible work should be sought. Cllr. Allerton to speak with contacts at JCB.
Matter to remain on agenda.
C.Maintenance – invoice from Contractor received in the sum of £170.00. Work reported as good.
17.103 HIGHWAYS MATTERS
Issues reported through SCC Cllr. Worthington, SCC Cllr. Deaville, Mr. Webb, Mr Greatbatch and Mr. Steele and SCC Website. Clerk had notified the appropriate personnel of the following issues.
Anticipated NHT and other Projects:
- Various potholes/ blocked gullies reported as required. (Weekly updates available from SCC).
- Poor road surface on Ellastone Road near junction with A 52. Acknowledged by SCC. In hands of Cty. Cllrs. Deaville and Worthington.
- Overhanging saplings on A52 near junction with Cotton Lane). Included in report. “In hand”.
- Blocked ditch to Cabbage Hall. Included in report.
- Road sign near Star PH – under investigation via Mr. Webb, SCC.
- Water running past Star Inn. Drainage cameras deployed to identify source of problem.
- Cotton Lane still requires sweeping. SMDC, to be notified (again).
- 30 mph signs on Ellastone Road replaced (17.89.9).
- SCC had improved vision by cutting grass near A52 / Ellastone Road
- Despite Council’s best efforts, no progress had been made on improving safety for schoolchildren having to cross busy A52 to await bus. Matter taken up again with Jackie Bridgen, SCC (Cc Cty. Cllr. Worthington / Karen Bradley MP.) (17.89.11).
- Bendall had reported problems for pedestrians due to overhanging foliage on A52 near School House Farm. Reported – reference number for work 4088032.
17.104 LIGHTING MATTERS
17.105 REPORTS OF REPRESENTATIVES
Clerk had distributed notes from SMPA meeting 22.06.17. (See min.17.91). No meetings of outside agencies had taken place since last meeting of Council.
- SCC weekly pothole updates.
- SMDC Weekly Planning Lists.
- SPCA Weekly Newsletters.
- SMDC – Notification of various meetings of Council / Committees.
- Parker’s Wholesale Autumn 2017 Catalogue.
- Leek & Moorlands Historic Buildings Trust – Council’s opinion sought on any
structures which may be suitable for listing. (schedule of listed buildings presently in parish available).
- Police & Crime Commissioner – Proposals to include Staffordshire Fire Service in remit of PCC.
17.107 ACCOUNTS FOR PAYMENT
- H & H Gardening Services Cemetery £340.00
H/W £300.00 £760.00
- Interoffice Ltd – Copier Paper and Memory Sticks £39.26
MATTERS OF AN URGENT NATURE
17.108 None reported.
Meeting rose at 8.54 p.m.
Date of next meeting Tuesday 5th. September 2017, 7.30 p.m. Cauldon Lowe Village Hall.