July Minutes 2017

A Parish Council meeting was held in Cauldon Lowe Village Hall on Tuesday, 4th. July 2017.

Present were Cllr. Cooper (Chairman) Cllrs. Allerton, Brindley, Dale, Lees, Withington-Hyde, SCC Cllr. Worthington (Local Member), SMDC Ward Cllrs. Fallows and Lucas.

Apologies: Cllr. Bendall.

BUSINESS

17.81                                  PUBLIC PARTICIPATION

No members of the public present.

17.82                                  DECLARATIONS OF  INTEREST

Cllr. Cooper declared a pecuniary interest in any matters under “Burial” concerning a proposed archway or disabled access at Cotton Cemetery.

       17.83                                 MINUTES OF LAST MEETING (Resolved)

Meeting held on 6th. June, 2017. These were approved and signed by the Chairman as a true and correct record.      ..

17.84                                 MATTERS ARISING FROM MINUTES

  1. Disabled access at Moorfields Close (17.69.A) Intention is to place suitable markings on carriageway to prevent restriction of access by parked vehicles. In hands of SCC.

17.85                                  LENGTHSMAN SCHEME

Invoice received from H & H Gardening Services re: Lengthsman duties in the sum of £130.00.

17.86                                 PLANNING MATTERS

Applications

            None received.

Decisions

None received.

Other Planning Matters

  1. Weekly lists – circulated to Cllrs.
  2. SMD/2017/0181 – Proposed name display arch at entrance to Cotton cemetery – Chairman stated that, by direction of SMDC, plans require modification prior to approval.
  3. Dale had received information from SMDC that no unmarked graves had been disturbed by rubble deposited on site at former St. Wilfrid’s RC Churchyard. SMDC observations had been noted.

17.87                                  RECREATION MATTERS

  1. Mowing has been undertaken in the sum of £60.00.
  2. Chairman considered that Council should suitably mark centenary of end of WW1 in November 2018. This matter to remain on agenda.

17.88                                  BURIAL MATTERS

  1. Proposed archway entrance to Cemetery (see 17.86.B) (Cllr. Cooper declared a pecuniary interest and took no part in discussion or resolution). Quotations to be investigated (17.80.C).
  2. Disabled access – (17.59.B) Previously drawn plans in safe custody of Chairman

Chairman to have plans copied.  Matter to remain on agenda.

  1. Maintenance – invoice from Contractor received in the sum of £170.00.

17.89                                  HIGHWAYS MATTERS 

Issues reported through SCC Cllr. Worthington, SCC Cllr. Deaville, Mr. Webb, Mr Greatbatch and Mr. Steele and SCC Website. Clerk had notified the appropriate personnel of the following issues.

Anticipated NHT and other Projects:

  1. Various potholes/ blocked gullies reported as required. (Weekly updates available from SCC).
  2. Poor road surface on Ellastone Road near junction with A 52. Reported previously and acknowledged by SCC. Resurfacing urgently required.
  3. Overhanging saplings on A52 near junction with Cotton Lane). Included in report. “In hand”.
  4. Blocked ditch to Cabbage Hall. Included in report.
  5. Road sign near Star PH – under investigation via Mr. Webb, SCC.
  6. Water running past Star Inn. In hands of SCC drainage personnel via SCC. Cllrs. Allerton and Dale had spoken with Mr. Webb, SCC. Drainage cameras to be used to identify source of problem.
  7. Cotton Lane still requires sweeping. SMDC, to be notified (again).
  8. New sign for Cauldon Lowe Village Hall required.
  9. 30 mph signs on Ellastone Road to be replaced (17./80.A).
  10. Chairman reported further accident at A52 / Ellastone Road junction. SCC to improve vision by cutting grass.
  11. Despite Council’s best efforts, no progress had been made on improving safety for schoolchildren having to cross busy A52 to await bus. Matter to be taken up again with Jackie Bridgen, SCC (Cc Cty. Cllr. Worthington / Karen Bradley MP.) (17.80.B)

17.90                                  LIGHTING MATTERS

None reported.

17.91                                  REPORTS OF REPRESENTATIVES

.Cllr. Dale reported on SMPA meeting 22.06.17. Matters discussed included a) Local Plan update, b) Uses of social media, c) CVLLP (investigation of local plateways).

17.92                                  CORRESPONDENCE

  1. SCC weekly pothole updates.
  2. SMDC Weekly Planning Lists.
  3. SPCA Weekly Newsletters.
  4. SMDC – Notification of various meetings.
  5. Staffordshire Police – posters re: forthcoming SPACE initiative.
  6. Healthwatch UK updates.
  7. Leek & Moorlands Historic Buildings Trust – Council’s opinion sought on any

 

structures which may be suitable for listing.  Clerk had requested schedule of listed buildings presently in parish.

  1. “Clerks & Councils Direct”, Issue 112, July 2017.

17.93                                              ACCOUNTS FOR PAYMENT

  1. H & H Gardening Services                                                 Cemetery          £170.00

Rec.                 £60.00

H/W                  £130.00                         £360.00

B . J.W. Wood, Clerk – Salary / Expenses                                        £270.00

  1. Cauldon Lowe Village Hall – Room Hire 09/14 – 06/16 £510.00

D.The Ford Partnership – Internal Audit 16/17                         £114.00

MATTERS OF AN URGENT NATURE

17.94      None reported.

Meeting rose at 9.18 p.m.

Date of next meeting Tuesday 1st.  August 2017,  7.30 p.m. Cauldon Lowe Village Hall.

June Minutes 2017

A Parish Council meeting was held in Cauldon Lowe Village Hall on Tuesday, 6th. June 2017.

Present were Cllr. Cooper (Chairman) Cllrs. Allerton, Bendall,  Dale, Lees, Withington-Hyde, SCC Cllr. Worthington (Local Member), SMDC Ward Cllr. Lucas.

Apologies: Cllr. Brindley, SMDC Ward Cllr. Fallows.

BUSINESS

17.66                                  PUBLIC PARTICIPATION

No members of the public present.

17.67                                  DECLARATIONS OF  INTEREST

Cllr. Cooper declared a pecuniary interest in any matters under “Burial” concerning a proposed archway or disabled access at Cotton Cemetery.

       17.68                                 MINUTES OF LAST MEETING (Resolved)

Meeting held on 2nd. May, 2017. These were approved and signed by the Chairman as a true and correct record.

17.69                                 MATTERS ARISING FROM MINUTES

  1. Disabled access at Moorfields Close (17.39.A) Parked vehicles render the passage of disabled carriages difficult. Mr. Steele, SCC Highways Liaison Officer, conducting investigations. Intention is to place suitable markings on carriageway.

17.70                                  LENGTHSMAN SCHEME

Invoice received from H & H Gardening Services re: Lengthsman duties in the sum of £300.00.

17.71                                 PLANNING MATTERS

Applications

            None received.

Decisions

None notified.

Other Planning Matters

  1. Weekly lists – circulated to Cllrs.
  2. Dale re-iterated concerns regarding St. Wilfrid’s RC Church and Churchyard. Email traffic had been exchanged between Cllr. Dale and SMDC Enforcement Officers (all Cllrs. had been copied in). SMDC stated that rubble had been introduced into area surrounding St. Wilfrid’s during 2016 to assist in removal of War memorial to a site in present RC Cemetery.

Cllr. Allerton had received no information from Church authorities on locations of old graves (some unmarked).

17.72                                  RECREATION MATTERS

  1. Mowing has been undertaken in the sum of £120.00.

COTTON PARISH COUNCIL                                                                                    360

  1. Mr. G. Goldstraw had been thanked for his work in repairing damaged gatepost at recreation ground..

17.73                                  BURIAL MATTERS

  1. Proposed archway entrance to Cemetery (see 17.73.A) (Cllr. Cooper declared a pecuniary interest and took no part in discussion or resolution). Plans submitted and validated. Decision awaited from SMDC.
  2. Disabled access – Previously drawn plans available (passed to Chairman for safe keeping).Grant aid may be investigated through Lichfield Diocese and SPCA.
  3. Maintenance – invoice from Contractor received in the sum of £340.00.
  4. Interment to take place 11.06.2017. New grave – double fees to be charged as deceased resided outside parish.

17.74                                  HIGHWAYS MATTERS 

Issues reported through SCC Cllr. Worthington, SCC Cllr. Deaville, Mr. Webb, Mr Greatbatch and Mr. Steele and SCC Website. Clerk had notified the appropriate personnel of the following issues.

Anticipated NHT and other Projects:

  1. Various potholes/ blocked gullies reported as required. (Weekly updates available from SCC).
  2. Poor road surface on Ellastone Road near junction with A 52. Reported previously and acknowledged by SCC.
  3. Overhanging saplings on A52 near junction with Cotton Lane). Included in report. “In hand”.
  4. Blocked ditch to Cabbage Hall. Included in report.
  5. Road sign near Star PH not replaced, unlike others which have been replaced following recent work. Reported to Mr. Steele..
  6. Water running past Star Inn. In hands of SCC drainage personnel via SCC. Cllr. Allerton to speak with Mr. Webb, SCC. Cllr. Worthington aware of issue.
  7. Cotton Lane still requires sweeping. SMDC, to be notified (again).

17.75                                  LIGHTING MATTERS

None reported.

17.76                                  REPORTS OF REPRESENTATIVES

No meetings of outside agencies had taken place since last meeting of Council.

17.77                                  CORRESPONDENCE

  1. SCC weekly pothole updates.
  2. SMDC Weekly Planning Lists.
  3. SPCA Weekly Newsletters.
  4. SMDC – Notification of various meetings.
  5. Broxap Ltd. brochure
  6. Wicksteed Leisure – catalogue.
  7. Healthwatch UK – Update.
  8. Staffordshire Police – Information on Cyber Crime.

17.78                                              ACCOUNTS FOR PAYMENT

  1. H & H Gardening Services                                                 Cemetery          £340.00

Rec.                 £120.00

H/W                  £300.00                         £760.00

COTTON PARISH COUNCIL                                                                                    361

 

B . SMDC – Cemetery Waste Container charges                   £261.38

  1. SPFA – Annual Subs 17/18                                            £15.00

 

17.79.A                                ANNUAL GOVERNANCE STATEMENT

Resolved that the Annual Governance Statement 2016-2017 be signed by the Chairman and Clerk

17.79.B                                ANNUAL RETURN

Resolved that the Annual Return 2016-2017 be signed by the Chairman and Clerk.

Both the above items to be submitted to the Internal and External Auditors and displayed on the Parish Website.

      17.80                                  MATTERS OF AN URGENT NATURE

. `A.  SCC Cllr. Worthington mentioned the intention of Oakamoor Parish Council to approach SCC regarding a reduction of speed limit to 30 mph from Oakamoor to Star crossroads, Cotton.

  1. Dale suggested that Council should examine the present unsatisfactory school pick up points on the 52 with a view to seeking more commodious arrangements.
  2. Chairman inquired as to whether, if planning permission is granted for proposed archway, whether quotations should be sought. Matter to be discussed at July 2017 meeting of Council.

Meeting rose at 9.25 p.m.

Date of next meeting Tuesday 4th.  July 2017,  7.30 p.m. Cauldon Lowe Village Hall.

Cotton Cemetery

Entrance Arch

Preparations for the New Entrance Arch are underway and should be completed within the next few weeks. Photos will be posted upon completion. We would like to thank Councillor Worthington and Councillor Lucas for their donations towards the cost of the ‘Arch’ and also contributions from the parishioners.

Disabled Access

After months of discussion and plans being passed, work will commence on the new Disabled Access entrance. It has been a long daunting task but well worth the wait. Cotton is also excited to receive a donation of £10,000 towards the cost of the disabled access which was granted by ‘Awards for All’ National Lottery who we owe a big thank you as without the help we were unable to meet the costs of the project. The groundwork is being carried out by JCB who continue to support the community for which we are most grateful. Another local company, Alpha Aggregates have kindly donated 15 tonnes of aggregate. All in all, we cannot thank enough, the businesses that are helping in enhancing our beautiful village.

Cemetery Wall

The Cemetery wall has recently been rebuilt in places as it had fallen down. The work was carried out by a local building mason, who did an excellent job.

 

 

 

January minutes 2017

COTTON PARISH COUNCIL                                                                 

A Parish Council meeting was held in Cauldon Lowe Village Hall on Tuesday, 3rd. January 2017.

Present were Cllr. Cooper (Chairman) Cllrs. Allerton, Bendall, Brindley, Dale, Lees, Withington-Hyde, SCC Cllr. Worthington (Local Member), SMDC Ward Cllr. Lucas.

Apologies: None.

Prior to the commencement of formal business, .SMDC Ward Cllr. Lucas announced the recent passing of former Ward Cllr. Josie Clowes, who had been a regular attendee at meetings of Cotton Parish Council during her time as Churnet Ward Councillor.  The meeting observed a moment’s silence in memory of Cllr. Clowes.

BUSINESS

17.01                                  PUBLIC PARTICIPATION

None present.

17.02                                  DECLARATIONS OF  INTEREST

Cllr. Cooper declared an interest in any matters concerning P.H. Wintertons.

       17.03                                 MINUTES OF LAST MEETING (Resolved)

Meeting held on 6th. December, 2016. These were approved and signed by the Chairman as a true and correct record…

17.04                                 MATTERS ARISING FROM MINUTES

  1. Dropped Kerb at Moorfields Close (16.165.B) Nothing concrete to report at this stage, although SCC Cllr. Worthington asserted that any work undertaken would be to enable disabled access rather than vehicular access.
  2. Withington-Hyde had kindly made certain calculations regarding Council’s income and expenditure during the year, with particular concern regarding Cemetery maintenance and discontinuation of SCC Lengthsman funding during the next financial year (See also Min. 17.05 below). Clerk to supply figures at next meeting.
  3. Transparency Fund (16.165.A). Clerk had purchased printer and carrying case for PC. Donation from SCC Cllr. Worthington’s LMIS fund received with thanks. Website: cottonparishcouncil.com

17.05                                  LENGTHSMAN SCHEME

Notification received from SCC of termination of SCC Lengthsman Agreement as from 31st. March 2017. Funding for current fiscal year will be forthcoming and Lengthsman funding from SMDC will not be discontinued during 2017-2018.

Advertisement to be placed in local press for a Lengthsman to undertake work to include cemetery maintenance and recreation mowing (Latter two tasks not included in current SCC or SMDC Lengthsman Agreements).

17.06                                 PLANNING MATTERS

Applications

None received.

Decisions

None received.                                                                                

Other Planning Matters

  1. Weekly lists – circulated to Cllrs. with email facilities.
  1. Reported that a planning application had been submitted for developmemt at Cotton Caravan Park, although no information had been received by this Council.  SCC Cllr. Worthington reported that Consall P.C. had received hard copy of plans, which had nothing to do with that Parish.  SCC Cllr. Worthington to make due enquiries with Case Officer.

17.07                                  RECREATION MATTERS

None reported.

17.08                                  BURIAL MATTERS

  1. A letter had been received from a Mr. and Miss Wood regarding damage to a memorial which had occurred over successive years. Council retains a watchful eye over Cemetery matters although this Council, whilst expressing regret, has noted correspondence but is not able to take retrospective action.
  1. Cllr. Withington-Hyde reported a memorial to Mildred and Mary Warrington is falling down and family has enquired regarding restoration. Clerk to refer family (via contact Mrs. Jennifer Lumley)  to Nettlebank Ltd., Momumental Masons, with a view to possible restoration

17.09                    HIGHWAYS MATTERS 

Issues reported through SCC Cllr. Worthington, SCC Cllr. Deaville, Mr. Webb, Mr Greatbatch and Mr. Steele Clerk had notified the above personnel of the following issues.

Anticipated NHT and other Projects:

  1. Various potholes/ blocked gully on westbound A52 (Weekly updates now available from SCC)..
  2. Damaged Cotton sign on Cotton Lane.
  3. Overhanging saplings on A52 near junction with Cotton Lane). Included in report. “In hand
  4. Blocked ditch to Cabbage Hall. Included in report.
  5. Overhanging trees at Three Lows crossroads. Reported that former landowner’s house has now been sold.
  6. Noted that verges on A 52 are considerably overgrown.
  7. Road sign near Star PH not replaced unlike others which have been replaced following recent work.
  8. Grit piles still required in Cotton Lane.

17.10                                  LIGHTING MATTERS

No issues reported.

17.11                                  REPORTS OF REPRESENTATIVES

No meetings of outside agencies had taken place since last meeting of Council.

17.12                                   CORRESPONDENCE

  1. SCC weekly pothole updates.
  2. SMDC Weekly Planning Lists.
  3. SPCA Newsletters.
  1. Letter from Mr. & Miss. Wood regarding gravestone damage (17.08.A).
  2. Letter containing information received from SCC regarding Precept 2017-2018 information.
  3. Letter from SCC regarding Termination of Lengthsman Agreement as from 31.03.2017.
  4. Letter from parishioner Mrs. Allerton regarding dog fouling in Cauldon Lowe.
  5. Letter from SMDC regarding adoption of red Heritage or standard telephone boxes which are to be decommissioned or removed due to low usage (none suitable for adoption in this Parish).

17.13                                              ACCOUNTS FOR PAYMENT

  1. Mr. J. W. Wood, Clerk – Salary & expenses (2 months)                £320.00

B.SMDC – Lease of land at Moorfields Close                                               £80.l00

  1. Interoffice Ltd. – Printer and carrying case                                  £129.35

17.14                                  PRECEPT 2017-2018

Having regard to the information and figures supplied, it was proposed by Cllr. Dale and seconded by Cllr. Allerton that the Precept for 2017-2018 be set at £5300.00 with additional  Council Tax Support Grant of £80.65).  Carried.  To be submitted to SMDC.

      17.15                                  MATTERS OF AN URGENT NATURE

  1. Resolved that Cllr. Allerton would obtain suitable card of sympathy to be sent to family of the late SMDC Ward Cllr. Clowes.
  2. Cllr. Bendall enquired as to whether the Millennium Committee should continue sitting, the Millennium having now passed.

Meeting rose at 9.25 p.m.

Date of next meeting Tuesday 7th.  February  2017, 7.30 p.m. Cauldon Lowe Village Hall.